Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are the educational / licensing requirements to become a public health official in New Jersey?

A: In New Jersey, licenses are required for Health Officer and Registered Environmental Health Specialist positions. These licenses are issued by the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services, and their requirements for licensure can be found on the NJDHSS website.

Q: What are the benefits of joining a professional organization such as NJEHA?

A: Members receive quarterly newsletters filled with timely environmental health news, innovative and practical ideas, legislative news, information about other NJEHA members and upcoming programs and events. Additionally, members receive discounts on attendance to our conference and continuing education programs. Membership to NJEHA offers a great opportunity to network with other environmental health professionals from the area and the nation. Members also receive advance notice of job openings before they are posted on our website and in our newsletters. Last but certainly not least, membership in NJEHA allows you to join your voice with many other public health officials in how public health policy is shaped in NJ.

Q: How do I join NJEHA?
A: Please click here for a membership application. Fill it out in its entirety and mail it to us with a check or money order. Annual dues are currently $50.00. Membership expires December 31 annually . You can also join online by  filling out an online application and  submitting a secure debit/credit card payment via Paypal by clicking here.

Q: How do I join a committee in NJEHA?

A: NJEHA is always looking for members to assist with different activities and programs. Contact any Executive Council member and let them know of your interest to join a committee.

Q: Can NJEHA help me find a job in environmental health?

A: Job postings are emailed out to our members, then five days later posted on our Job Postings page on this website. They are also listed in our newsletters that are mailed out to members. Members and non-members alike can network with other environmental health professionals at our meetings to find employment opportunities.

Q: Does NJEHA provide scholarship monies to environmental health students?

A: The Gary S. Straus Scholarship is available to qualifying applicants for assistance with costs of higher education in public health. Honorariums are also available to help off-set costs of attendeeing education seminars.

Q: Does NJEHA get involved in legislative issues?

A: Yes. Active participation in the legislative process for public health issues is highly encouraged among our members. We maintain a legislative page on our website to keep our members informed of the latest legislative issues. In addition, the NJEHA Executive Council regularly receives and reviews the NJ Register for any upcoming legislation that affects public health in NJ.

Q: How do I find our more about NEHA?

A: Go to the National Environmental Health Association website at